2019 Fourth Quarter Revenues of $256.9 Million, up 9.4% year-over-year
Q4 Diluted EPS (GAAP) of $0.62(1), up from $0.11(1) in Q4 of 2018
Q4 Adjusted Diluted EPS (Non-GAAP) of $0.79, up from $0.74 in Q4 of 2018
2019 Revenues of $991.3 Million, up 12.3% year-over-year
2019 Diluted EPS (GAAP) of $1.95(1), up from $1.62(1) in 2018
2019 Adjusted Diluted EPS (Non-GAAP) of $3.09, up from $2.77 in 2018
New York, NY - February 27, 2020 - ExlService Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXLS), a leading operations management and analytics company, today announced its financial results for the quarter and full year ended December 31, 2019.
Rohit Kapoor, Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said, “I am pleased with our performance in 2019. We grew our Analytics business by 25.3% with a 13.5% growth in organic revenue. Our operations management businesses grew nicely at 6.1% year over year and in the second half of the year our growth accelerated to more than 10%. This was driven by double-digit growth in the Insurance and Healthcare verticals.
“Our success is a result of our ability to deliver tangible business outcomes for our clients as their strategic digital transformation partner. Our ability to combine deep domain expertise, data, analytics and digital technologies to orchestrate solutions for business problems has positioned us as a market leader and a partner of choice. Our pipeline remains strong and we look forward to the continued growth in 2020.”
Maurizio Nicolelli, Chief Financial Officer, said, “We ended 2019 with strong momentum in our business and a very healthy balance sheet. For 2019, we generated $168.4 million in cash flow from operations and ended the year with $321.4 million in cash and short-term investments while total borrowings were $249.9 million, for a net cash position of $71.5 million. Our initial 2020 guidance reflects our desire to drive shareholder return through revenue growth in the mid-to-high single digits on a constant currency basis and adjusted diluted EPS growth of 11% to 16%.”
(1) Refer Financial Highlights for details.
Financial Highlights: Fourth Quarter 2019
We have six reportable segments: Insurance, Healthcare, Travel, Transportation & Logistics, Finance & Accounting, All Other (consisting of our Banking & Financial Services, Utilities and Consulting operating segments) and Analytics. Reconciliations of adjusted (non-GAAP) financial measures to GAAP measures are included at the end of this release.
- Revenues for the quarter ended December 31, 2019 increased to $256.9 million compared to $234.9 million for the fourth quarter of 2018, an increase of 9.4% on a reported basis and 9.3% on a constant currency basis from the fourth quarter of 2018, as well as an increase of 2.2% sequentially on a reported basis and 2.0% on a constant currency basis, from the third quarter of 2019.
- Operating income margin for the quarter ended December 31, 2019 was 9.1%, compared to an operating loss margin of 0.9% for the fourth quarter of 2018 and operating income margin of 8.9% for the third quarter of 2019. During the quarters ended December 31, 2019 and 2018 and September 30, 2019, we recorded impairment and restructuring charges of $1.4 million, $20.1 million and $0.5 million, respectively, related to the wind down of the Health Integrated business, which reduced our operating income margin by approximately 50 basis points, 850 basis points and 20 basis points, respectively. The wind down of the Health Integrated business was substantially completed on December 31, 2019 and we do not expect to incur impairment and restructuring charges in 2020. Adjusted operating income margin for the quarter ended December 31, 2019 was 13.3% compared to 13.1% for the fourth quarter of 2018 and 14.3% for the third quarter of 2019.
- Diluted earnings per share for the quarter ended December 31, 2019 was $0.62 compared to $0.11 for the fourth quarter of 2018 and $0.55 for the third quarter of 2019. During the quarters ended December 31, 2019 and 2018 and September 30, 2019, we recorded impairment and restructuring charges of $1.4 million ($1.0 million net of tax), $20.1 million ($17.0 million net of tax) and $0.5 million ($0.4 million net of tax), respectively, related to the wind down of the Health Integrated business, which reduced our diluted earnings per share by $0.03, $0.49 and $0.01, respectively. Adjusted diluted earnings per share for the quarter ended December 31, 2019 was $0.79 compared to $0.74 for the fourth quarter of 2018 and $0.84 for the third quarter of 2019.
Financial Highlights: Full Year 2019
- Revenues for the year ended December 31, 2019 increased to $991.3 million compared to $883.1 million for the year ended December 31, 2018, an increase of 12.3% on a reported basis and 13.0% on a constant currency basis.
- Operating income margin for the year ended December 31, 2019 was 7.7% compared to 5.6% for the year ended December 31, 2018. During the year 2019 and 2018, we recorded impairment and restructuring charges of $8.7 million and $20.1 million, respectively, related to the wind down of the Health Integrated business, which reduced our operating income margin by approximately 90 basis points and 230 basis points, respectively. The wind down of the Health Integrated business was substantially completed on December 31, 2019 and we do not expect to incur impairment and restructuring charges in 2020. Adjusted operating income margin for the year ended December 31, 2019 was 13.4% compared to 13.5% for the year ended December 31, 2018.
- Diluted earnings per share for the year ended December 31, 2019 was $1.95 compared to $1.62 for the year ended December 31, 2018. During the year 2019 and 2018, we recorded impairment and restructuring charges of $8.7 million ($6.5 million net of tax) and $20.1 million ($17.0 million net of tax), respectively, related to the wind down of the Health Integrated business, which reduced our diluted earnings per share by $0.19 and $0.49 for the year ended December 31, 2019 and 2018, respectively. Adjusted diluted earnings per share for the year ended December 31, 2019 was $3.09 compared to $2.77 for the year ended December 31, 2018.
Business Highlights: Fourth Quarter 2019
- Won five new clients in the fourth quarter of 2019, including two in our operations management businesses and three in Analytics. For the full year, we won 28 new clients, 14 in operations management and 14 in Analytics.
- Recognized as a Leader in the IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Analytics for Business Operations Services 2019 Vendor Assessment
- Positioned as a Leader in the Everest Group Advanced Analytics & Insights Services PEAK Matrix™ Assessment 2020
- Recognized as a Leader in the ISG Provider Lens for Insurance BPO Digital Services – U.S. 2019 for Property & Casualty Insurance Services, Life & Annuity Digital Services and Life & Annuity TPA Services
Post-Fourth Quarter Highlights
- Appointed Maurizio Nicolelli to the role of Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and member of the Executive Committee
- Appointed Vivek Jetley to the role of Executive Vice President, Head of Analytics and member of the Executive Committee
Based on current visibility, and a U.S. Dollar to Indian Rupee exchange rate of 71.5, British Pound to U.S. Dollar exchange rate of 1.29, U.S. Dollar to the Philippine Peso exchange rate of 51.0 and all other currencies at current exchange rates, we are providing the following guidance:
- Revenue of $1.040 billion to $1.065 billion, representing an annual revenue growth rate of 5% to 8% on a constant currency basis.
- Adjusted diluted earnings per share of $3.42 to $3.58.
2020 Change in Segment Reporting
Effective January 1, 2020, we made certain operational and structural changes to more closely integrate our businesses and to simplify our organizational structure. We now manage and report financial information through our four strategic business units: Insurance, Healthcare, Analytics and Emerging Business, which reflects how management will review financial information and make operating decisions. These business units will develop client-specific solutions, build capabilities, maintain a unified go-to-market approach and be integrally responsible for service delivery, customer satisfaction, growth and profitability. In line with our strategy of vertical integration and focus on domain expertise, we have integrated our Finance & Accounting and Consulting operating segments within each of the Insurance and Healthcare operating segments based on the respective industry-specific clients. Finance & Accounting and Consulting Services to clients outside of those industries, will now be part of our newly formed business unit and reportable segment “Emerging Business”. In addition, we integrated our former Travel, Transportation and Logistics, Banking and Financial Services, and Utilities operating segments under “Emerging Business” to further leverage and optimize the operating scale in providing operations management services. Information presented in this release reflects the operating and reporting structure in place for 2019.
ExlService Holdings, Inc. will host a conference call on Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 8:00 A.M. ET to discuss the Company’s quarterly operating and financial results. The conference call will be available live via the internet by accessing the investor relations section of EXL’s website at ir.exlservice.com, where an accompanying investor-friendly spreadsheet of historical operating and financial data can also be accessed. Please access the website at least fifteen minutes prior to the call to register, download and install any necessary audio software.
To listen to the conference call via phone, please dial 1-877-303-6384, or if dialing internationally, 1-224-357-2191 and an operator will assist you. For those who cannot access the live broadcast, a replay will be available on the EXL website ir.exlservice.com for a period of twelve months.
About ExlService Holdings, Inc.
EXL (NASDAQ: EXLS) is a leading operations management and analytics company that helps our clients build and grow sustainable businesses. By orchestrating our domain expertise, data, analytics and digital technology, we look deeper to design and manage agile, customer-centric operating models to improve global operations, drive profitability, enhance customer satisfaction, increase data-driven insights, and manage risk and compliance. Headquartered in New York, EXL has more than 31,700 professionals in locations throughout the United States, the UK, Europe, India, the Philippines, Colombia, Australia and South Africa. EXL serves multiple industries including insurance, healthcare, banking and financial services, utilities, travel, transportation and logistics, media and retail, among others. For more information, visit www.exlservice.com.
Continuing Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements This press release contains forward-looking statements. You should not place undue reliance on those statements because they are subject to numerous uncertainties and factors relating to EXL's operations and business environment, all of which are difficult to predict and many of which are beyond EXL’s control. Forward-looking statements include information concerning EXL’s possible or assumed future results of operations, including descriptions of its business strategy. These statements may include words such as “may,” “will,” “should,” “believe,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “intend,” “plan,” “estimate” or similar expressions. These statements are based on assumptions that we have made in light of management's experience in the industry as well as its perceptions of historical trends, current conditions, expected future developments and other factors it believes are appropriate under the circumstances. You should understand that these statements are not guarantees of performance or results. They involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Although EXL believes that these forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, you should be aware that many factors could affect EXL’s actual financial results or results of operations and could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These factors, which include our ability to successfully close and integrate strategic acquisitions, are discussed in more detail in EXL’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including EXL’s Annual Report on Form 10-K. These risks could cause actual results to differ materially from those implied by forward-looking statements in this release. You should keep in mind that any forward-looking statement made herein, or elsewhere, speaks only as of the date on which it is made. New risks and uncertainties come up from time to time, and it is impossible to predict these events or how they may affect EXL. EXL has no obligation to update any forward-looking statements after the date hereof, except as required by federal securities laws.
For a full view of EXL’s financial tables, click here