EXL Reports 2020 Second Quarter ResultsThursday, August 6, 2020
2020 Second Quarter Revenues of $222.5 Million, down 8.6% year-over-year
Q2 Diluted EPS (GAAP) of $0.24, down from $0.36 in Q2 of 2019
Q2 Adjusted Diluted EPS (Non-GAAP) of $0.53, down from $0.74 in Q2 of 2019
New York, NY - August 6, 2020 - ExlService Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXLS), a leading operations management and analytics company, today announced its financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2020.
Rohit Kapoor, Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said, “In the second quarter of 2020, we transitioned quickly to a ‘work-from-anywhere’ model and by the quarter’s end we were meeting over 95% of client delivery needs despite the unique and historic challenges of COVID-19. We finished the quarter with revenues of $222.5 million, down 9.6% sequentially and 8.6% year over year, compared to our prior guidance that second quarter 2020 revenue would decline 15% sequentially. Adjusted diluted EPS was $0.53, better than the high end of our expected range owing to higher revenue and cost management. While the market environment remains volatile due to the ongoing pandemic, our business model has become even more relevant as clients accelerate their digital transformation agendas to provide services to customers in a contactless manner and seek greater efficiency.”
Maurizio Nicolelli, Chief Financial Officer, said, “EXL’s operating model has shown tremendous resilience during the past quarter and the increased visibility in our business gives us confidence to resume guidance for 2020. Our revenue guidance for 2020 is $922 million - $938 million, representing a reduction of 3.5% to 5.0% on a constant currency basis from 2019. Our adjusted diluted EPS guidance for 2020 is $2.60 - $2.80. We anticipate sequential revenue and adjusted EPS growth in the second half of the year, but given the unknown duration and severity of the pandemic, our current expectations could change. Our balance sheet has remained strong with cash and short-term investments of $335.6 million as of June 30, 2020.”
Financial Highlights: Second Quarter 2020
Effective January 1, 2020, we made certain operational and structural changes to manage and report financial information through our four reportable segments: Insurance, Healthcare, Emerging Business and Analytics. Financial information for historical periods are recast to conform to the current presentation. For details regarding the change in segments, refer to our quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2020. Reconciliations of adjusted (non-GAAP) financial measures to GAAP measures are included at the end of this release.
- Revenues for the quarter ended June 30, 2020 decreased to $222.5 million compared to $243.5 million for the second quarter of 2019, a decrease of 8.6% on a reported basis and 7.9% on a constant currency basis from the second quarter of 2019. Revenues declined by 9.6% sequentially on a reported basis and 9.3% on a constant currency basis, from the first quarter of 2020.
- Operating income margin for the quarter ended June 30, 2020 was 4.4%, compared to an operating income margin of 5.7% for the second quarter of 2019 and operating income margin of 11.2% for the first quarter of 2020. During the quarter ended June 30, 2019 we recorded impairment and restructuring charges of $5.6 million related to the wind down of the Health Integrated business, which reduced our operating income margin by 230 basis points. Adjusted operating income margin for the quarter ended June 30, 2020 was 9.4% compared to 13.2% for the second quarter of 2019 and 14.8% for the first quarter of 2020.
- Diluted earnings per share for the quarter ended June 30, 2020 was $0.24 compared to $0.36 for the second quarter of 2019 and $0.65 for the first quarter of 2020. During the quarter ended June 30, 2019 we recorded impairment and restructuring charges of $5.6 million ($4.2 million net of tax) related to the wind down of the Health Integrated business, which reduced our diluted earnings per share by $0.12. Adjusted diluted earnings per share for the quarter ended June 30, 2020 was $0.53 compared to $0.74 for the second quarter of 2019 and $0.81 for the first quarter of 2020.
Business Highlights: Second Quarter 2020
- Won nine new clients in the second quarter of 2020, with three in our operations management businesses and six in Analytics.
- Recognized as a Leader in the Everest Group Insurance Analytics and Insights (A&I) Third-party Services PEAK Matrix® Assessment 2020.
- Named as Outstanding Partner of the Year for 2019 by our strategic partner Aflac. EXL won in the Service category for improving Aflac’s ability to provide quick resolution to its end customers.
Based on current visibility, and a U.S. Dollar to Indian Rupee exchange rate of 75.50, British Pound to U.S. Dollar exchange rate of 1.23, U.S. Dollar to the Philippine Peso exchange rate of 50.0 and all other currencies at current exchange rates, we are providing the following guidance:
- Revenue of $922 million to $938 million, representing an annual revenue reduction of 3.5% to 5.0% on a constant currency basis from 2019.
- Adjusted diluted earnings per share of $2.60 to $2.80.
ExlService Holdings, Inc. will host a conference call on Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 10:00 A.M. ET to discuss the Company’s quarterly operating and financial results. The conference call will be available live via the internet by accessing the investor relations section of EXL’s website at ir.exlservice.com, where an accompanying investor-friendly spreadsheet of historical operating and financial data can also be accessed. Please access the website at least fifteen minutes prior to the call to register, download and install any necessary audio software.
To listen to the conference call via phone, please dial 1-877-303-6384, or if dialing internationally, 1-224-357-2191 and an operator will assist you. For those who cannot access the live broadcast, a replay will be available on the EXL website ir.exlservice.com for a period of twelve months.
About ExlService Holdings, Inc.
EXL (NASDAQ: EXLS) is a leading operations management and analytics company that helps our clients build and grow sustainable businesses. By orchestrating our domain expertise, data, analytics and digital technology, we look deeper to design and manage agile, customer-centric operating models to improve global operations, drive profitability, enhance customer satisfaction, increase data-driven insights, and manage risk and compliance. Headquartered in New York, EXL has approximately 31,600 professionals in locations throughout the United States, the UK, Europe, India, the Philippines, Colombia, Australia and South Africa. EXL serves multiple industries including insurance, healthcare, banking and financial services, utilities, travel, transportation and logistics, media and retail, among others. For more information, visit www.exlservice.com.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements This press release contains forward-looking statements. You should not place undue reliance on those statements because they are subject to numerous uncertainties and factors relating to EXL's operations and business environment, all of which are difficult to predict and many of which are beyond EXL’s control. Forward-looking statements include information concerning EXL’s possible or assumed future results of operations, including descriptions of its business strategy. These statements may include words such as “may,” “will,” “should,” “believe,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “intend,” “plan,” “estimate” or similar expressions. These statements are based on assumptions that we have made in light of management's experience in the industry as well as its perceptions of historical trends, current conditions, expected future developments and other factors it believes are appropriate under the circumstances. You should understand that these statements are not guarantees of performance or results. They involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Although EXL believes that these forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, you should be aware that many factors could affect EXL’s actual financial results or results of operations and could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These factors, which include our ability to successfully close and integrate strategic acquisitions, and our ability to respond to and manage public health crises, including the outbreak and continued effects of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, are discussed in more detail in EXL’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including EXL’s Annual Report on Form 10-K and EXL’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2020. These risks could cause actual results to differ materially from those implied by forward-looking statements in this release. You should keep in mind that any forward-looking statement made herein, or elsewhere, speaks only as of the date on which it is made. New risks and uncertainties come up from time to time, and it is impossible to predict these events or how they may affect EXL. EXL has no obligation to update any forward-looking statements after the date hereof, except as required by federal securities laws.
For a full view of EXL’s financial tables, click here