EXL Reports 2021 First Quarter ResultsThursday, April 29, 2021
2021 First Quarter Revenues of $261.4 Million, up 6.3% year-over-year
Q1 Diluted Earnings Per Share (GAAP) of $0.93, up from $0.65 in Q1 of 2020
Q1 Adjusted Diluted Earnings Per Share (Non-GAAP) (1) of $1.18, up from $0.81 in Q1 of 2020
NEW YORK, April 29, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) - ExlService Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXLS), a leading operations management and analytics company, today announced its financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2021.
Rohit Kapoor, Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said, “EXL had a strong start to the year with first quarter revenue of $261.4 million. Analytics growth accelerated with a 10.7% revenue increase from the first quarter of 2020. Adjusted diluted earnings per share for the quarter was $1.18, a 46% increase year-over-year. Our data-led value creation framework is resonating well in the market and we are driving revenue expansion with our existing clients as well as signing new logos. While we are in a favorable demand environment with a strong pipeline of opportunities, we also face significant pandemic related challenges in our delivery geographies, particularly in India and the Philippines.”
Maurizio Nicolelli, Chief Financial Officer, said, “Based on our strong first quarter financial results, the growth momentum in the business and an expectation of continued fulfillment levels, we are increasing our revenue guidance for 2021 to be in the range of $1.04 billion to $1.07 billion, representing a 8% to 11% increase year-over-year on a constant currency basis, from 2020. Our adjusted diluted earnings per share guidance for 2021 is increasing to $4.00 to $4.30, representing a 13% to 22% increase over the prior year.”
- Reconciliations of adjusted (non-GAAP) financial measures to the most directly comparable GAAP measures, where applicable, are included at the end of this release under “Reconciliation of Adjusted Financial Measures to GAAP Measures”. These non-GAAP measures, including adjusted diluted EPS and constant currency measures, are not measures of financial performance prepared in accordance with GAAP.
Financial Highlights: First Quarter 2021
- Revenues for the quarter ended March 31, 2021 increased to $261.4 million compared to $246.0 million for the first quarter of 2020, an increase of 6.3% on a reported basis and 5.5% on a constant currency basis from the first quarter of 2020. Revenues increased by 5.0% sequentially on a reported basis and 4.7% on a constant currency basis, from the fourth quarter of 2020.
- Operating income margin for the quarter ended March 31, 2021 was 15.9%, compared to an operating income margin of 11.2% for the first quarter of 2020 and operating income margin of 15.4% for the fourth quarter of 2020. Adjusted operating income margin for the quarter ended March 31, 2021 was 20.2% compared to 14.8% for the first quarter of 2020 and 19.7% for the fourth quarter of 2020.
- Diluted earnings per share for the quarter ended March 31, 2021 was $0.93 compared to $0.65 for the first quarter of 2020 and $0.94 for the fourth quarter of 2020. Adjusted diluted earnings per share for the quarter ended March 31, 2021 was $1.18 compared to $0.81 for the first quarter of 2020 and $1.14 for the fourth quarter of 2020.
Business Highlights: First Quarter 2021
- Won 14 new clients in the first quarter of 2021, with five in our operations management businesses and nine in Analytics.
- Released LDS 2.0, EXL’s digital new business and underwriting solution for life and annuities insurers which includes a robust suite of automation and configuration tools.
- Released LifePRO® 20, EXL’s innovative digital policy administration platform that supports end-to-end digital insurance policy administration lifecycle.
- Recognized as a Visionary in the February 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data and Analytics Service Providers(2)
- Included in The Booming 15 lists in the ISG Index™, for the 13th quarter in a row.
Post-First Quarter Highlight
- As previously announced, subsequent to the first quarter of 2021, on April 19, 2021, Pavan Bagai, President and Chief Operating Officer, notified us that he will retire from the company effective October 1, 2021. Mr. Bagai’s responsibilities will be transitioned in an orderly manner to other members of EXL’s executive team over the course of the next several months.
Based on current visibility, and a U.S. Dollar to Indian Rupee exchange rate of 74.50, British Pound to U.S. Dollar exchange rate of 1.38, U.S. Dollar to the Philippine Peso exchange rate of 48.50 and all other currencies at current exchange rates, we are providing the following 2021 guidance:
- Revenue of $1.04 billion to $1.07 billion, representing an increase of 9% to 12% on a reported basis, and 8% to 11% on a constant currency basis, from 2020.
- Adjusted diluted earnings per share of $4.00 to $4.30, representing an increase of 13% to 22% from 2020.
ExlService Holdings, Inc. will host a conference call on Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:00 A.M. ET to discuss the Company’s quarterly operating and financial results. The conference call will be available live via the internet by accessing the investor relations section of EXL’s website at ir.exlservice.com, where an accompanying investor-friendly spreadsheet of historical operating and financial data can also be accessed. Please access the website at least fifteen minutes prior to the call to register, download and install any necessary audio software.
To listen to the conference call via phone, please dial 1-877-303-6384, or if dialing internationally, 1-224-357-2191 and an operator will assist you. For those who cannot access the live broadcast, a replay will be available on the EXL website ir.exlservice.com for a period of twelve months.
(2) Disclaimer: Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
About ExlService Holdings, Inc.
EXL (NASDAQ: EXLS) is a leading operations management and analytics company that helps our clients build and grow sustainable businesses. By orchestrating our domain expertise, data, analytics and digital technology, we look deeper to design and manage agile, customer-centric operating models to improve global operations, drive profitability, enhance customer satisfaction, increase data-driven insights, and manage risk and compliance. Headquartered in New York, EXL has approximately 31,600 professionals in locations throughout the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe, India, the Philippines, Colombia, Canada, Australia and South Africa. EXL serves customers in multiple industries including insurance, healthcare, banking and financial services, utilities, travel, transportation and logistics, media and retail, among others. For more information, visit www.exlservice.com.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements This press release contains forward-looking statements. You should not place undue reliance on those statements because they are subject to numerous uncertainties and factors relating to EXL's operations and business environment, all of which are difficult to predict and many of which are beyond EXL’s control. Forward-looking statements include information concerning EXL’s possible or assumed future results of operations, including descriptions of its business strategy. These statements may include words such as “may,” “will,” “should,” “believe,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “intend,” “plan,” “estimate” or similar expressions. These statements are based on assumptions that we have made in light of management's experience in the industry as well as its perceptions of historical trends, current conditions, expected future developments and other factors it believes are appropriate under the circumstances. You should understand that these statements are not guarantees of performance or results. They involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Although EXL believes that these forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, you should be aware that many factors could affect EXL’s actual financial results or results of operations and could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These factors, which include our ability to successfully close and integrate strategic acquisitions, our ability to respond to and manage public health crises, including the outbreak and continued effects of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, are discussed in more detail in EXL’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including EXL’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q and Annual Report on Form 10-K. These risks could cause actual results to differ materially from those implied by forward-looking statements in this release. You should keep in mind that any forward-looking statement made herein, or elsewhere, speaks only as of the date on which it is made. New risks and uncertainties come up from time to time, and it is impossible to predict these events or how they may affect EXL. EXL has no obligation to update any forward-looking statements after the date hereof, except as required by federal securities laws.
For a full view of EXL’s financial tables, click here