EXL’s client, a leading energy services and solutions provider, embarked on a multi-year, service-led transformation journey to reduce costs, reinvigorate its brand, and put the customer at the centre of its operations. The company’s goal was to achieve cost efficiency savings by 2022 while delivering the best possible service. To accomplish this vision, the client and EXL collaborated to reduce the cost of operations while improving customer experience. This would finding solutions for several issues:
- Multiple breakdowns in customer journeys generating significant failure demand, resulting in exceptions, calls, and complaints
- Limited view of end-to-end customer journeys linking upstream and downstream processes
- Operations teams working in silos with a focus on individual rather than organizational KPIs and customer outcomes
- Legacy workflows and manual touchpoints leading to higher cost to serve
EXL and the client collaborated to implement a management information assistant (MIA.) in residential and business line of businesses (LOBs).
EXL’s MIA is a search-based business intelligence solution that uses natural language processing algorithms to extract and display information through powerful visualizations. This helps leaders to better manage human and digital workforces through a single digital command centre, as well as better understand how strategy changes impact customer outcomes and business KPIs through embedded analytics and data aggregation.
Additionally, MIA helps proactively identify issues that can have a detrimental impact on customer and business outcomes. This enables operations teams to proactively manage issues instead of waiting for a failure to happen.
Speed and quality of the execution were essential on this transformation journey. EXL assisted the client in shifting from a pyramid-shaped transformation hierarchy to an agile delivery center featuring selfcontained agile teams organized around customer journeys. This included the following aspects:
- Multi-disciplinary teams: The most significant change was a shift from different teams working in silos to deliver incremental benefits to cross-functional teams working with agile mindset focusing on rapid iteration and experimentation to improve customer journeys. EXL and the client created co-located multi-disciplinary teams, such as data, domain, digital, technology, and change teams, working on one common objective.
- Agile delivery:
- Defined outcomes to be tracked for each customer journey in MIA
- Developed MIA journey dashboards
- Defined hypotheses related to issues impacting customer journey and higher cost to serve
- Tested hypotheses using data and domain expertise and define potential solutions
- Stress tested solutions through 2-4 week trials on real-time data, and checked impacts on customers, financials, and regulations
- Presented findings along with benefits for sign-of
- Built proactive controls and workflows featuring continuous monitoring and improved customer outcomes
- Used exception management to improve customer journeys:
- MIA Decision Engines: Deployed MIA decision engines that smooth the customer journey through faster and more accurate clearances of back office exceptions, thus delivering an enhanced customer experience.
- Workflow Prioritisation: Developed new ways to prioritise exceptions instead of traditional FIFO-based processing
- Linking back-office, field, collections, front-office and data analytics through MIA. The platform links different functions and provides a holistic view of how one change can have a halo effect on other functions. This has enabled EXL and the client to bring all functions together and design initiatives that not only reduce cost, but improve business outcomes as well.